Monday, March 2, 2009

Paul mentioned March being the beginning of our spring. I know that while driving around town the daffodils were popping up and the Forsythia has even started to show color. That however was three whole days ago. On Saturday we (I use the term loosely, as I was pulling orders) began propagation. Paul and Michael were hard at work trimming back the plants in the greenhouse and going to town! I love propagation time. The smell of the soil, the feel of the babies in your fingers as you stick them. It makes one feel almost maternal. At least it does me! I always say a little prayer as I tuck the trays into the tunnel with the misters.

This year is different, it was a cold rainy day here in Landrum. Alex came into the greenhouse and proceeded to find the warmest spot, on the heat mat. No dummy, this boy. He reluctantly gave up his spot to the trays that were filled. But what a sight! All those new cuttings on such a day. It was warmer in the morning and we really felt the spring like temps. It came crashing down around us as the day wore on. By the time we closed up the rain was downright cold and the sky was iron gray. Sigh... So much for spring.

So now it is Monday. Yesterday evening the snow began. Real snow, not just a few flakes. We are surrounded by a sea of white today. The town has shut down and the kids are all out making snowmen and snow angels. I was hit by a snowball around 10:30 last night. Jim came in with snow down his pants. A good time was had by all. So the temps can go back up and we will welcome the sun! Come on spring!

1 comment: